I am a qualified Integrative Psychotherapist, and also hold a qualification in Integrative Psychodynamic Counselling. I trained for six years to gain these qualifications, and have been seeing adult clients in a variety of services since 2010 to offer psychotherapy and counselling. I am a member of the United Kingdom Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP).
I work primarily from a trauma-informed and relational perspective, often using an embodied approach to talking therapy. I use psychodynamic, attachment, and intersubjectivity theories to work with clients. Working from an integrative perspective allows me to tailor my approach to each individual person. I am trained in the Re-Wind technique, which helps to alleviate the symptoms of trauma.
Experience in non-therapeutic roles within mental health support services greatly informs my work. It also maintains my awareness of the client's experience of mental health service provision and surrounding factors. Therefore, I understand the importance of respect, autonomy and kindness in delivering a therapeutic service.
I welcome enquiries from those who identify at any point on the gender spectrum (including men, women, and non-binary people), and those who reject it completely. I offer a LGBTQIA+ affirmative service, in addition to working in a way that welcomes persons from a diverse range of ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
I am able to assist with a wide range of personal difficulties around mental health and wellbeing, including: depression, anxiety, personal development, personal identity, relationships, and trauma. My specialist skills are in supporting people who have experienced sexual violence and abuse. I also offer therapeutic support for partners, family members, and friends of sexual abuse survivors.
Much of my skills in this area were gained through the creation and management of two community-based third sector specialist psychotherapy services in Leeds for female-identifying people with severe and enduring mental health needs (offenders, and survivors of sexual violence).
To fully see what I can offer you as a Psychotherapist, please take a look at the psychotherapy and counselling page.
Thus far I have several years of experience in writing, speaking, and delivering training about mental health, trauma, and sexual violence so that practitioners and the general public are more informed about these topics. I also offer consultancy for practitioners that want to develop in these areas, or need support to set up a private practice. For examples please see the bottom of this page, and my blog.
I believe the process of psychotherapy is about getting to know one's self more consciously both as an individual, and as someone that exists within relationships, groups and social structures. Knowing more about yourself can help to make choices about your life, and the important things in it. You can also make these choices with more confidence to better fulfil who you are as a person. It can also help you resolve past experiences that are stopping you from moving forward in your life.
- MSc Integrative Psychotherapy (Metanoia Institute)
- Clinical Diploma in Integrative Psychodynamic Counselling (Metanoia Institute)
- Certificate in Counselling Skills (Metanoia Institute)
All trainings undertaken at the Metanoia Institute are validated by Middlesex University.
- Member of UKCP (Humanistic & Integrative College)
- Member of Metanoia Institute
Creating & Co-Ordinating Specialist Services Alongside Delivering Psychotherapy & Counselling:
- Support After Rape & Sexual Violence Leeds (SARSVL)
- Together Women Project Leeds
Psychotherapy and Counselling:
- Barnsley Sexual Abuse & Rape Crisis Services (BSARCS)
- The Tuke Centre, York
- NHS Psychology & Psychotherapy Therapy Service Leeds
- Women's Counselling & Therapy Service Leeds
- University of Bradford Student Counselling Service
- University of Leeds Student Counselling Centre
- Metanoia Counselling and Psychotherapy Service
Observational Work & Clinical Team Support:
- Clifton House Low Secure Forensic Service, Leeds & York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Intensive Community Services, Leeds & York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Crisis Assessment Service, Leeds & York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
Project Management & Administration:
- Complex Trauma Therapist's Network (CTTN)
- Freedom from Torture Yorkshire & Humberside
- Leeds Mind Wellbeing Service
I have experience in working with a wide range of difficulties, including:
- Sexual Violence
- Trauma, and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
- Abuse (Emotional/Psychological, Physical, Sexual)
- Personal Self-Development and Self-Identity
Click for further information.
- Visit my blog for discussions on psychotherapy, counselling, mental health, and a range of other topics.
- New Psychotherapist: Rising to the Challenge - Gender and Mental Health
- Guest Lecturer at York St. John University on the topic of 'Working with Sexual Violence from a Relational and Empowerment Perspective', and 'Pre-Trial Therapy' (School of Psychological and Social Sciences)
- PESI - Psychotherapy Excellence: Enhancing Empowerment with Survivors of Sexual Violence
- Inspiring Women Changemakers: Challenging Pre-Trial Therapy Guidelines
- BBC Radio Leeds: Pre-Trial Therapy
- Guest speaker at Leeds Reclaim the Night rally at Leeds Beckett University
- Inspiring Women Changemakers: A Professional's Perspective on Domestic and Sexual Abuse: Survivor's Experiences of Reporting to the Police
- Blood + Milk: Seeking Psychotherapy as a Survivor of Sexual Violence
- Support for Survivors Workshop Series: Female-Identifying Survivors of Sexual Abuse
- Crossland Wellbeing: Guest Speaker on 'The Impact of Trauma'
- Leeds Survivor Led Crisis Service: Understanding Trauma
- UKCP & Psychologies Podcast: Overcoming Sexual Violence
- UKCP for International Women's Day 2018: Working with Women with Complex Needs
- New Psychotherapist: Specialist Psychotherapy is Vital for Women with Complex Needs
- Temenos Sheffield: 'Pre-Trial Therapy 101' and 'Working Outside of the Consulting Room'
- Against Violence & Abuse (AVA): Community of Practice for Women with Multiple Disadvantages
- BBC Radio Leeds Interview for the International Day to Eliminate Violence Against Women 2016
- Guest Lecturer at Leeds Beckett University on the topics of 'Sexual Abuse' (Psychological Therapies & Mental Health) and 'Working with People with Mental Health Difficulties' (Public Health Nutrition)
- Trainer at University of Law on the topic of 'Responding to Students' Mental Health Disclosures'